Joanna hosted a lovely Mother’s Day inspired brunch at Sunday Suppers with a group of incredibly talented women from writers to editors, illustrators and photographers. We are all daughters and some of us mothers and together we shared the great experience of being women in this day in age.
So in advance, Happy Mother’s Day to all the mommys out there and if you’re looking for a really special gift, make something meaningful from Pinhole Press. I did for Christmas and it was without a doubt the sweetest sentimental way for sharing special memories of love with loved ones…
Continue reading “Brooklyn Brunch~” →
Have a sweet Friday and lovely weekend~
Cup of Jo “braided crown” hair tutorial featuring Caroline
Have y’all seen the fun hair tutorials on Cup of Jo? Here is yet another the creative beauty duo Joanna & Caroline put together I was so lucky to shoot– it’s a little bit of a tease.. a little bit messy… and a great friday-night-date-night-look…
The Messy Side Ponytail for Cup of Jo~
Caroline’s Step by Step:
1. Start with day-old hair…meaning it’s been a day since you’ve washed it. (If you must wash your hair, then use a volumizing spray to add oomf; and if your hair is oily, use a French dry shampoo to build body and texture.) Now make a deep side part on one side of your hair. You can use a rat-tail comb to get an extra straight part.
2. Backcomb the top quarter of your hair. Basically, brush the hair downwards toward your scalp so it’s sort of frizzy and can stand on its own.
3. Gently brush the very top layer of your hair to make it smooth on the top. That way, all the backcombing will be hidden under the layer that you brushed. Still, don’t brush too much, you want it a little messy.
4. Take the entire backcombed section and pin it behind your head. To make it secure, place the bobby pins in an “X.”
5. Now take all your hair and put it in a low ponytail at the nape of your neck. Tighten the rubber band as tight as you can. This will help “push” your hair up, creating more volume at the top.
5. You can either leave the rubber band exposed, or hide it by taking a small half-inch section of hair from the ponytail and wrapping it around the rubber band. Take a small bobby pin and pin the hair to the rubber band.
6. Rough up the ponytail with your fingers to match the texture at the top of your hair. Use the same motion as you did to back comb, but use your fingers instead, since this will create a messy texture but will be softer and gentler than using a comb. Remember, this look isn’t about perfection; it looks best slightly messy.
Photos by FromMeToYou for Cup of Jo / Hair tutorial & modeling by the lovely Caroline Ventura
Vintage inspired hair with modern ease! After shooting this hair how-to by model turned jewelry designer Caroline for Cup of Jo this became my go-to weekend hair! Less than 5 mins effort & your ready for love in the afternoon–
The visual aid step by step:
1. This style is so easy, it’s laughable. Day-old hair is best (which is true for most hairstyles, since it’s easier to work with hair that has a little dirt in it).
2. Divide your hair into three equal parts and quickly spray each section with a little hairspray to help give it hold. Let the hairspray set for a couple seconds, and then lightly comb it out.
3. Take the section on your right side, and twist your hair all the way down to the end. You want to twist counter-clockwise, toward your face. Wrap the right section in on itself, just like you’re making a little bun. Let some of the hair stick out, it’s ok (you don’t want them to look like Princess Leia buns).
4. Pin the right bun in place. I like to use these mini bobby pins, since they’re easier to hide and they’re coated in rubber so they hold your hair better.
5. Next, twist the middle section clockwise and pin. Then twist the left section clockwise and pin.
6. Spray the three buns with a little more hairspray, and you’re done!
***Three Twisted Buns for Cup of Jo, Caroline’s shirt is from Cardigan, and her lipstick is Covergirl Outlast Lipstain in Wild Berry. Thank you Joanna & Caroline for a fun & easy beauty shoot!