When we were planning our travels to New Orleans to shoot our latest inspiring woman, Christina Graci, I knew I wanted to stay someplace magical, a true “N’awlins” gem: and I found it in the French Quarter’s Soniat House.
We fell in love with the warm Southern charm, the friendly hotel cat, and of course the amazing breakfasts. Now, you go down south for the music and the cocktails, but the food was the shining star of this trip.
We loved the classic French Quarter fare of Marti’s and the modern casual elegance of Lilette in the beautiful Garden District’s Magazine Street. If we are talking about simple pleasures, a cocktail (or two or three) at Bouligny Tavern is the perfect way to end the day in the Big Easy. And you know… I can never come to New Orleans without always stopping in for a few of these….
All of this is barely scratching the surface of all this great American city has to offer…New Orleans, I’ll be back for you…
Continue reading “Soniat House”
All is quiet
Lafayette Cemetery- New Orleans
Morning light in a shop window- New Orleans
Summertime in the French Quarter, New Orleans
“Creole babies with flashin’ eyes Softly whisper their tender sighs
Then stop….won’t you give your lady fair…a little smile
Stop..ya bet your life you’ll linger there…a little while
We’ve got heaven right here on earth
With those beautiful queens
Way down yonder in New…Orleans”
A trip down to the Big Easy made easy by her amazing local recommendations!
- Breakfast at Satsuma Cafe in the Bywater followed by amazing thrift store treasures next door
- A late morning stroll through the French Market bloody mary in hand
- Seafood Po Boy’s, a shoe shine on Jackson Square, afternoon coffee and beignets at Cafe Du Monde
- A trip on the St. Charles Streetcar followed by a walk through the mansions in the Garden District where the air actually smelled sweet
- The most amazing meal we had in NOLA at Sylvain in the French Quarter which probably had something to do with the fact it used to be a carriage house turned into a bordello where Faulkner used to visit his madam and write…. awesome.
- Capping the evening off with Pimm’s Cup in hand and those flavorful NOLA parities…
All images shot with Pentax Spotmatic & Kodak 400VC film
Have a great Mardi Gras y’all!